Tuesday, August 16, 2016

To Boldly Go – or Not, Every Writer's Conflict


Ask any writer what his greatest conflict is and the answer may surprise you.  For me, it's to write or not to write.  Most objections are silly.  Time, for example is perhaps the most common excuse writers give for not writing.  I'm calling Malarkey on this one.  Time is constant.  We all have the same amount of this resource.  Time is not the problem – it's the use of time that is the real challenge.

My greatest conflict is finding the balance in my life which at times feels like managing chaos.  My head is like an unbalanced washing machine spinning out of control.  I'm no Maytag repairman but I do believe I'm resolving some of the issues causing disorder in my life.  I've divided everything up into two categories – things I cannot change and things I can.  I pray for the wisdom to know which items go in the washing machine and which items go in the dryer and for all my laundry to come out presentable.

The metronome you see pictured above will be my most used tool to boldly go where successful writers go in pursuit of their writing dreams – publication.  It's the final step in a long journey filled with false starts, writers block, painful edits and self doubts.  If all goes well and I stay on beat, the final chapter will come out of the dryer on schedule and my next book will be released on May 1, 2017.  I'm boldly going.  Thanks for visiting.  Have a great day.

No comments: