Friday, February 17, 2017

A Few of My Favorite Recipes

Pregnancy has its privileges.  Onlookers are offering support.  Recently I asked readers to please share their favorite recipes that are consistent with my caveman food lifestyle for publication in my next book on Labor Day.  I'm sharing three today on this blog for you to try.  Let me know what you think.

Margie's Mango Salsa – the Perfect Caveman Appetizer

2 Mangos
1/4 Red Onion
1 to 2 Serrano Peppers
1 to 2 Lemons - squeeze as much as you want
1 Cucumber
2 Tomatoes
1 Avocado (optional)
Cilantro

Dice all ingredients.  Margie suggests dicing them as small as possible.  Squeeze in lemon juice and season with salt (I prefer no-salt seasoning).

This is good with grilled fish or chicken.  Also good with tortilla chips.

Teresa's Coconut Flour Banana Bread

1 pinch salt (I use no-salt seasoning as a substitute)
4 eggs
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 bananas, mashed (make sure they are on the dark side for best flavor)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup pecans (or walnuts)

Whisk the dry ingredients first, then stir wet ingredients until smooth.
Stir in your choice of nuts
Put in a greased loaf pan
Bake at 350º for 50-75 minutes.  Cover with foil after 50 minutes.
Cool on a rack completely before eating for optimum texture and flavor.

Michael's Caveman Signature Smoothie

With the exception of the avocado and the orange, I like to keep my fruits frozen and I find the recipe works best in a high speed blender.  My personal preference is a Vitamix.  I tried the Nutribullet but find the Chia seeds don't break down properly and the texture is isn't as fine as I prefer.  I've been experimenting with this recipe for over a year and notice a difference if just one ingredient is missing.  The multi-step process is necessary in order to keep the blender from freezing up.  This makes 4-5 servings.

1 cup of spinach
1 stalk of celery
1/2 avocado
3 cups of cold water
1 orange
1 banana (frozen works best to keep smoothie cold)
1 tablespoon of organic blue agave
1 tablespoon of Chia Seed
1 tablespoon of Flaxseed
1/2 cup frozen pineapple
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup mixed berries (I like blackberries and raspberries)

Start with spinach, celery, avocado and water.  Mix at high speed.  While blending, add orange, banana, agave, Chia seed and Flax seed.  Turn off and add frozen fruits.  Mix at high speed until well blended.

You can find these and other recipes in my next book, scheduled for release on May 1, 2017.  If you're interested in picking up a copy, bookmark this page and come back on delivery date.  All proceeds will be donated to Children's Miracle Network.  Have a great day.


No comments: