Friday, April 14, 2017

Please Welcome Cousin Mary, CMN Honoree

My mom, cousin Mary and me.

You won't find her on Facebook.  She's all about face-to-face contact.  I'm thankful for all she does as the oldest member of our generation of countless Mulligan cousins.  Although her itinerary was fully booked while visiting her youngest daughter in Spain, Mary made the time to visit the small town of Rubalcaba where my mom's ancestors are from.  She sent us pictures of the small town located not far from the place high in the mountains where another possible ancestor, a 7,000-year-old dark-skinned, blue-eyed Spanish caveman was unearthed.  Scientists decoded La Brana 1's DNA and discovered he was an ancient hunter gatherer with a lactose intolerance.  If his image looks hauntingly familiar to the front cover of "The Caveman in the Mirror," it's because it's nearly identical to the ghost who taunted me in my nightly dreams until I finally wrote about him so he would finally leave me alone.

Mary is the cousin from my dad's side of the family who helped me see the connections to ancestors on my mom's side of the family.  The truth is all of us are connected.  Children's Miracle Network is all about connecting people to help sick kids at Children's Hospital.  All proceeds from my next book will make a difference in their lives.  Thank you, Mary, for helping me find an important link to our ancestors.  Your dark-skinned, blue-eyed cousin is thankful to have a role model like you to look up to.  Have a great day.

No comments: