Monday, June 12, 2017

It's Not Over Until the Fat Lady Sings


My uncle Mike read an excerpt from dad's final letter before losing his battle to cancer.  It's not over until the fat lady sings but I think I hear her humming a few bars, dad wrote.  She was humming again at our state championship battle on Saturday in Waterloo.  The winds were also howling in our showdown.  We came up short as a team, losing 3-2.  Our only hope of advancing is a wild card invitation based on our season record.  I would like to thank all the friends and family members who supported me during this amazing year.  My team-mate, Fred, and I eked out a win at number one doubles, winning the super tie breaker 11-9 but it wasn't enough to defend our Men's 18+ state title and we will have to fight extra hard next year to take back the crown.

There's no rest for us.  We will see many of the same players again in the Men's 40+ state championships on Saturday, 6/24 at 8:30 AM at the University of Iowa tennis courts in Iowa City.  Friends and family are welcome to come cheer for the home team.  Will someone please tell the fat lady we're playing in Waterloo?  Thank you.  Have a great day.

No comments: