Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Pursue Excellence


Excellence isn't a sometime thing.  Excellence is a series of lifestyle choices you make in order to fulfill your dreams.  Your attitude plays a big role in attaining what you desire.  So does your self esteem.  Consider excellence as a recipe you are constantly refining until the taste is just right.  The bigger the goal, the more complicated the recipe and the more time you will need to fine tune it.  Most people give up because they believe they're lousy cooks.  This is a self esteem issue that needs adjusting or you may leave the kitchen and never come back.

I'm dealing with a train wreck in my life and it's a huge mess.  I don't mind sharing this with you because it may help you understand the process of pursuing excellence.  Sometimes this happens when you have a lot on your plate.  I can relate.  My train wreck began when I missed my deadline to release my third book.  There were warning signs but I ignored them because I was so focused on the deadline that I couldn't see out the window and I was headed smack into a wildfire with no way out.  The book stunk.  By the time I finished self-editing, there wasn't much left except a cup of soup that tasted bland.  The one thing I had going for me is my own self esteem which was refined from dealing with years of rejection.  I kept telling myself, keep working on this, you're close, you just need to find the missing ingredients.  Then the train crashed.

Pursue excellence.  Even after train wrecks.  Even if you have to throw out a project you've been working on for what seems like a lifetime and start over.  Stay in the kitchen.  Keep a fire extinguisher handy for the really bad days but don't give up.  Have a great day.

No comments: