Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Real Cavemen Don't Drink Milk or Soda


I refuse to drink milk even though I have dense bones to go along with my sometimes dense brain.  In my opinion, one of the reasons my bone density is off the charts is because I also refuse to drink soda.  My friends like to use scare tactics to persuade me to change my ways but they know very little about past health issues that nudged me to live like a caveman.  The most common question I get about the no milk choice is, "how do you get enough calcium?"  My answer usually leads to more follow up questions.  Most people don't understand that even though they may be taking in the recommended amount of calcium (1,000 mg/day) they aren't absorbing it because of two reasons – inadequate amounts of the vitamin D necessary for calcium absorption and over-consumption of soda which also inhibits calcium absorption.

I get my calcium the same way our caveman ancestors did – consuming nuts, beans, raw spinach, salmon, oranges, blackberries and kiwi.  My vitamin D comes from hiking, mowing the yard, playing tennis and barbecuing.  Next week I'm headed in for five hours of bone and joint testing.  Besides living like a caveman, I'm also a lab rat.  My hope is that researchers will learn something from my lifestyle choices.  Have a great day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let us know how the tests go next week. You are very inspirational Michael Mulligan!