Wednesday, January 10, 2018

2 Score and 4 Years Ago


Do you remember what it was like the first time you entered high school?  For me, it meant a new circle of friends, the discovery of a sport I plan on enjoying for a lifetime, and an opportunity to learn what I'm made of.  The truth is I had no clue what to expect that first day I walked into class as a scrawny incoming freshman not even five feet tall.  Those next four years shaped me.  Now it's reunion time.  Time to go back to my roots and see old friends.  I'll be in Sunnyslope on October 13 for our 40th high school reunion.

Some of my nicknames were coined in high school.  "Spoons" was given to me when I was a busboy at the Arbor and my classmates in "Snora's" Spanish class called me Miguelito Saltón, meaning little Mike jumping.  I hope the name still sticks in the Men's 90's national doubles championships just 2 score minus 8 years away from today featuring the Saltónes primos from the class of '78.  My cousin may have been my civil war opponent on the tennis courts during high school, but in my book he's an honorary Viking and I just might see if I can smuggle him into the party on October 13 located just a few blocks from where he lived when we were growing up.  Have a great day.


No comments: