Monday, April 9, 2018

Dealing with Anxiety


"Do not be afraid" is mentioned 70 times in the NIV Bible for a reason.  Jesus knows we need help.  Anxiety is real.  My greatest challenge right now is driving on icy roads, something one wouldn't normally deal with in April when the Spring weather appears.  I was hoping the weatherman would be wrong when he predicted snow for yesterday.  I had nearly a week to think about.  There was no way to avoid it as I was scheduled to work at my day job.

"It's gonna me okay," I told myself when I started my SUV, a replacement vehicle for the Honda I totaled in the car accident during a major snow storm.  The 37º reading on my temperature gauge was reassuring because that meant the roads were probably free of ice.  Ten minutes later I felt my nerves acting up when the temp dropped to 28º and the slick roads became icy on my drive home.  Flashing lights on the interstate signaled more danger.  I felt my fists clenching my steering wheel as I spotted the EMT's on the side of the road on their way down the slope to help a driver who slid off the steep slope.  Another driver ahead of me slid into the center median a couple miles from my exit.

The scariest part for me was confronting my original accident scene in the same conditions I faced when I got t-boned.  I was wiggling my fingers and breathing deeply while the truck behind me was tailgating me on the icy road.  My christian radio was playing.  I made it!  I faced my worst fear yesterday.  This is a big step for me and I'm happy to report a successful outcome.  I have a long way to go but this is a major accomplishment.  Have a great day.

No comments: